natalie shelly studio

natalie shelly studio

making | a small mug study

September 27, 2013

These past couple weeks have found me working on a small mug commission in the studio. This is the first study in functional work I've undertaken in quite some time and I've really enjoyed the making. Ian shared his technique for pulling a handle directly off the pot and after some serious (and admittedly frustrating) practice, I'm happy with these early results. I've also completely fallen in love with soapstone as a wedging and rolling surface. As someone with constantly warm hands, the coolness of the stone is calming and I'm completely smitten with the striking contrast it offers when working with porcelain.

The coming weeks will bring glaze tests, bisque firing, and the finishing of some works for an upcoming solo show (more details to come soon).

Thanks for taking a moment with me and have a lovely week, 

natalie

1 comments:

natalie shelly studio All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger